Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas

Christmas Day is almost here! As I write late on Christmas Eve, I am contemplating Christmas Past and Christmas Present with an eye on Christmas Future. I have some great memories of Christmases from the past. I think about all those that were part of them that are no longer with us or are no longer part of our lives for one reason or another. I miss many of them. They remain in my heart even if they are no longer here physically.

This year was different, too. It had some wonderful moments when the grandchildren squealed excitedly over something or quietly commented at church when the pastor asked,"What child is this?"
"Jesus...", she whispered. Some parts were disappointments because I always want peace and joy for all my family and it doesn't happen. I give those disappointments to God or I would be truly brokenhearted. And there is too much joy in so much of the celebration to let the disappointments overshadow it.

As much as we would like to plan for the Christmas future, we don't know what is in store for us. Some of us talked about doing something totally different next year. Maybe a trip or a missions experience or gifts to someone needy or...  Who knows???  The important thing is to keep Christ in Christmas. I want to whisper quietly and shout loudly with my life that it's all about Jesus. He is the real reason for the season and the joy of my heart no matter what else is happening.

No comments: