Monday, January 6, 2014

The Deep Freeze of Minnesota

Sometimes living in Minnesota is a real challenge. This is one of those times. I don't like winter. I don't like cold. And it is very cold right now! When the thermometer says -18 for the high, that is a problem. Below 0 and high should not go in the same sentence. Then add the wind chill and you get somewhere in the neighborhood of -44. You do not want to be outside for very long in that kind of weather. You can get frostbite in something like 3 minutes on exposed skin. It is dangerous. Schools have been closed because of the cold.

Our weather has been colder than Mars. It is colder than the North Pole. And did I mention I don't like cold weather?

I sit by the wood stove and plan vacations to warmer places. Cancun sounds good. My son likes Key West, Florida. Even Texas and other southern destinations are not all that warm this year. I am not sure of where to go.

The snow is already getting to me, too. I don't enjoy the winter sports so it has little value to me. When people tell me it is beautiful, I struggle to see what they see. It is white. and that is when it is clean... I like color. I feel like I am living in a black and white world. The only color ate the pine trees and that isn't enough for me. The sky has been too gray to cheer me. The days are short with too much darkness. I need light and color.

I have one hearty little plant that blooms year round and it helps my sanity as it surprises me with a bloom on even the coldest days. It makes me smile.

Why do I live in Minnesota? My children and grandchildren are all here. I grew up here.  My home is here. My husband's job is here.

But could that change? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know yet, but I am praying about it. If I am to remain in the deep freeze, God's love will keep me. I will find joy even in the cold. At least I will try...

No comments: