Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Heart Check-up

In February, I had some unexplained heart issues. They earned me at trip to the ER, a day stay at the hospital, outpatient tests, and a follow-up doctor visit. And what did I learn after a stress test, a 48 hour monitor, an echocardiogram and multiple blood tests? I learned that my heart likes to beat an extra half beat once in a while, sometimes more frequently than others. My heart isn't the only one like that. Yours may do this, too. But for some reason, I am extremely sensitive to it. I notice it. I feel it. And sometimes I have some breathlessness with it. It can be scary because it feels odd. And it's your heart! When you feel like your heart is not working right, that is serious. You need your heart! My stress test said I could exercise though and I was not prescribed any medications. So I live with it. I try not to let it bother me. I try not to take my pulse. I try to ignore it. But sometimes it is still scary.

It made me think. We had 2 funerals in February and since those 2,  two other friends have lost family members. We do not know when it will be our time. We need to be prepared. I am not afraid to die. But I am afraid I have not done all I was supposed to do. I am afraid I have not prepared my family well enough. I have not shared my faith with enough people. I have not lived life to the fullest.

My heart check-up became a heart, mind, and soul check-up. I realized I need to love more openly. I need to forgive more freely.  I need to live with eternity in focus. People need to matter more and I need to let them know. I need to live purposefully. I can't waste my time on insignificant issues that do not matter. I can't hold grudges. Priorities need to be focused on

Now I don't know how to do all of that yet. I am still working on it. I wrote letters for Lent to let people in my life know they matter, that I appreciate them. I sent Valentines to my grandchildren to let them know how loved and important they are to me. I sent Easter greetings to those who might not usually hear from me.

But those things are only a beginning. I need to be more intentional in living fully each day. Some days it is easier to bury myself in a good book and not live in the here and now. Yet I need to live in gratitude for all I have. I need to find things each day that will glorify God. I have to ask how I can serve. Who can I care for?

A heart check-up is more than a physical thing. It may begin there, but needs to go much deeper. We have to take care of the physical; exercise, eat right, get rid of excess stress. But we need to get our hearts right with God and others, too. Then we can experience all the joys in our hearts.  

No comments: