Monday, January 14, 2013

A Resolution to Keep- Date Your Spouse

My husband was pleased to hear he made my resolution list! We were joking about resolutions and how hard so many of them are hard to keep- like diets, exercise, etc... I told him I made one that I was looking forward to keeping and that was to make dates with him a priority. He didn't say a lot, but I know he liked it because they have become a priority for him, too.

We enjoy each other's company and have always looked for ways to spend time together. After the kids were old enough to be left alone, we went out for Saturday breakfast because they didn't want to get up anyway. They rarely knew we were gone! I often will just ride along when he has to go somewhere for his job or to pick something up. We like to be together.

We did brainstorm a bit about things we would like to do and he even made a list in his smart phone! I wrote down my ideas and then I went online and found even more. I looked for fun ideas and for ideas that were not too expensive so they could just happen if we had the time.  Some ideas cost and have to be budgeted for though.

We like to get away a couple of times a year to a hotel and we have found it pays to join the hotels' "club" of ones we like. You get emails, notices of special deals and events, and sometimes rewards. Most give you points and even though it takes time to get enough points, they keep them until you use them. We have had a few free or reduced nights that way and sometimes they upgrade your room  when you check in. We also get free water or snacks at some!

We like to go out to eat, but it doesn't always have to be expensive. We like to try smaller off the beaten path restaurants, too. We like to pack a picnic with a few special things and go to a park or to a lake, too. We love motorcycle rides to anywhere and camping and canoeing! Outdoor activities  are great together.  We will do what each other enjoys to just spend time together. Loren will go with me to antique stores and flea markets, and I will go with him to motorcycle events and things like that.  Be creative and share your spouse's interests. You just might find you like it, too.

Try something new together, too. We are excited that a shooting and archery range is opening near us. We have gone horseback riding, to amusement parks, water parks, zoos, fairs, and festivals. Our state has a great tourism newspaper that lists events and we go to local events we find there. Many are free and a chance to explore your home area. We get a historical membership or state park sticker occasionally and use them to go to events. Even my membership to the historical society was at a reduced rate because I bought it on the internet through Groupon. If you are creative, you can get some good deals.

I don't like winter very much and since I live in Minnesota, that is tough sometimes. This is when we will go to a movie or a play or some kind of expo. We have gone to a camping show, a home show, and a motorcycle show. Check what your local civic centers offer. I also check local radio stations' community calendars for events. We may go to a local charity's fundraiser or dinner.We have found concerts and seminars that way. You would be surprised at what activities are out there.

Dating my spouse is definitely one resolution we both are enjoying, and it is good for our marriage. It gives us something to look forward to and to anticipate. It is part of my bigger goal to celebrate! We are celebrating our relationship and life! It is good to just have fun and to make memories! It will put a smile on your face and joy in your heart!

No comments: