Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Do children play outside?

When I was a child, I loved being outside. I couldn't wait to finish my chores so I could get out and play. I rode my bicycle, went to the playground, went to the beach, ran through sprinklers, and played with my friends. We played Annie, Annie, Over! We would get kids together and play football, kickball, tag, and hide and seek, plus other games. We went for walks. We camped out in our backyard. I had horses for a couple of years so I rode horse all the time during that time.  It was hot. We didn't have air conditioning, but we survived. We didn't have any reason to be in the house. TV was reruns in the summer and we stayed out until it was dark out. I took my dog for walks. I went to the zoo. We had fun outside.

I know the world is a different place than it was. We don't allow our children to go so many places alone. Or at least I don't! But kids just don't play outside like they used to. I went to the Twin Cities last Sunday and as we traveled through some small towns and neighborhoods, I didn't see any kids outside in their yards playing. It was warm out so maybe they were inside enjoying their air conditioning. I only saw one boy riding a bike and then some at a carnival. I saw children out riding those rides. Are the kids inside with video games? Are they watching TV or DVD's? Maybe some were at a beach or on vacation? I actually saw more adults out walking, but no children.

Do we worry about childhood obesity more now because the kids aren't out playing? Why aren't they? What are they doing instead?

I haven't thought about it a lot because we live out in the country and we are blessed to have a place with a swing set, sandbox, and pool. We have room to run and play tag and hide and seek. We have a kids' playhouse. We encourage our children and grandchildren  to go out and play. After a wet spring, we have had too many mosquitoes, and that has hampered our outside play some. But when we can be outside, we are. God's world is so incredible; we should enjoy it. Our summers are so short here; we need to make the most of them.

Do you and your children go out to play? What are your favorite activities outside?

No comments: