Friday, November 21, 2014

Running from Religion to Relationship


Running from Religion to Relationship

                I grew up in church. I was baptized, confirmed, went to youth group, Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, missions conferences, everything. I was comfortable at church.  I liked it. It was part of who I was. My faith was real. I believed.

                But my faith didn’t change me much. I still lived like everyone else. I did stupid things, things I am not proud of. I didn’t share my faith with anyone. No one could see much of a difference in me because of it. I was a “good” kid, which meant I didn’t get caught. I didn’t want to upset my parents. Faith didn’t change my behavior, but I was careful to not hurt anyone.

                I would have called myself a Christian, a Lutheran. But it was only skin deep. Maybe it was in my mind, but not in my heart. It wasn’t satisfying or fulfilling.

                During my teen years, I had a youth pastor who challenged us and took us to visit other churches and religious groups. It was interesting, but didn’t mean a lot to me until we went to a “Jesus People” house. I saw something different there. The people worshiped with heart, soul, and mind. They talked to God in their own words, like He was right there with them. I felt something there I had never felt before. I believe I felt God’s Spirit come over me. For the first time I knew my sins were real and they put Christ on the cross.  I knew He had died for me. I wanted to truly repent. I cried; I wept until I was completely cleansed. I was changed from the inside out. I had a new desire to read God’s Word, to share my faith, to worship wholeheartedly, and to pray continually about everything. I actually wanted to live for Him. I didn’t want to do the things I did before that I knew were wrong, and not because I was afraid of getting caught, but just because they were wrong. I had a new relationship with my Lord that was real and exciting to me. However the religion I grew up in didn’t recognize this relationship. I was forbidden by my parents to tell people I had “accepted” Jesus because I had always been a Christian. They raised me that way. They didn’t understand for a long time. But as I lived it, (not perfectly, but fairly consistently) people saw my faith was real and different. I read my Bible to get to know God and to know His will. I memorized Scripture because I wanted His Word in me, not because I wanted to know more than others. It became important to me to learn and grow as a Christian.

                Another thing that made a big difference for me was I joined Youth for Christ Campus life. I had mentors and friends who understood and wanted to grow, too. Mentors and friends kept me consistent and learning more.

                I didn’t live it perfectly. We never do. I blew it many times, but I knew God’s grace and forgiveness and love through all my trials and temptations. He was with me.

                Religion gave me a framework, a foundation for faith. Yet it alone wouldn’t have held me. It wasn’t enough. Many people I have known through the years have let their faith fall on the wayside. They no longer hold to it as they once did. The religion that got them by at home or in Sunday school ceased to be important to them. They don’t go to church. They don’t take their children to church. While they may be good people, God is not present in their lives. Faith doesn’t change them or play a part in their lives. Religion is NOT enough.

                Religion is not enough because we need relationship, too. We need to know God, His people, His church. We need to have God be a part of our lives all day, every day. We need to live His way. We have to want to be more like Jesus.

                Religion has its function, but if you are stuck there and it isn’t satisfying, run from it. Run from the emptiness to relationship. Look for Jesus, instead of what religion demands and expects. Let grace fill you instead of judgment. God’s love is real and offered to you. Leave the parts of religion behind that keep you from God. While God has standards and laws that we must follow, His Spirit will lead you and help you to follow his ways. Run to Him; run forward to relationship, a relationship with Jesus. It will be the most important race you will ever run!

               

No comments: