Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Birthday Celebration-60!

I celebrated a milestone birthday this weekend! It was a BIG one! I turned 60! But I don't feel 60! Most of the time...

When my daughters who are still at home asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told them I wanted all 6 of my children, the spouses, and my grandchildren to come to church with me on that day. We laughed at my impossible request and agreed to not even consider it. I did not want to be disappointed.

My husband asked and I told him the same thing. He said he should call all the kids and tell them to come. I again said no as I did not want to be disappointed.

Why would I be disappointed? Two of my children are divorced and another has been contemplating it while separated. The grandchildren live with my children's ex-spouses. My oldest son lives a hundred miles away and has 6 young children. It is often too hard for them to come. My family is messy and complicated. I didn't think it could work and I didn't want my daughters to feel like they had to coordinate an impossible feat such as this.

So on the morning of my birthday I woke up with little expectation of doing much. My girls said we could stop and pick up a cake on the way home from church. We could go out if I wanted. But nothing seemed planned. I had been gone to a convention with one of my daughters all day the day before so we had not planned anything.

I have to admit I was disappointed. I love to plan parties. I like my children and grandchildren around. But the last few years have been hard adjusting to a family that was broken. I have been hurt too many times expecting too much. I knew I had to let go.

So to church we went. First we went to Sunday School. They were serving cake and my youngest daughter joked it was for me. I told her it was leftover funeral cake! Oops! A friend texted me to save her a seat so I did. After Sunday School my daughter asked my friend to come downstairs to the children's ministry area to look at something. As an aside, she told me to come if I wanted. I took my time, not really caring if I went.

I walked in the room and they yelled, "Happy birthday!" Who? All my children, but one. All the spouses, but one. ALL the grandchildren and one to come that I didn't even know about!
I cried. I laughed. I hugged. I was overwhelmed that my daughters and my husband pulled it off. They got almost all of them to come. We took up almost 3 rows in church! It was the best birthday I could have had!

Then they all stayed for lunch that my 2 daughters and my husband planned. Lots contributed to it. Our pastor and family, my dear friend Lisa and Issy, my 'adopted' brother and his wife-Minh and Xuan, and my neighbors came, too. We ate, took pictures, and had wonderful cupcakes baked by my youngest daughter, Janaya.

My heart was full! Even though I missed my oldest daughter and one other spouse of another daughter, I was overjoyed to have almost all of them there. They came through for me. I received some gifts and cards, but the gift of their presence was my favorite gift. I wall always remember this.

Mandy, Janaya, and Loren, you gave me true joy in making my dream come true. And you kept it a surprise from me! Amazing and memorable! I loved it!

No comments: