Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Grief...and Joy!

Death. It is so final...for those of us left behind. It can hurt so much. Yet for a believer who dies in Christ, it is only a portal that they pass through into eternal paradise. It only takes a moment for them to pass through into their new life.

My father-in-law passed away just over a week ago and I watched him during his last moments on earth. In the afternoon of the day before, he was in pain. I sensed some fear in him, too. I kept talking to him and praying for him. I prayed that God would let him pass in peace and that He wouldn't let him die until He had made his peace with God. As the day went on, he was less agitated, had less pain. He began to rest more quietly with no distress. Even with no more pain meds, he was comfortable. I sensed God's presence. When it was his time to go, he just didn't take the next breath. He didn't fight it or struggle. He just left his earthly body behind. We cried and mourned. We will miss him, but God has healed him now and he is safe in the arms of Jesus.

He was our last parent. His leaving is the end of an era. My husband and I are the elders now and bear the cloak of responsibility once held by our parents. Whether we feel ready or not, it is time.

It is said that time heals our sorrows, but I know that is not completely true. Life goes on and you continue to live it so you no longer dwell on the pain or loss. Yet many things still trigger the loss and sadness, and there is still grief that surprises us often. But death does not win out. Christ has won the victory and we will see our loved ones again in Heaven if we trust in Jesus.That victory promise is what keeps me going and renews the joys of my heart, even while experiencing grief.

No comments: